English Quiz – 99
1. The involvement of teachers in the scheme of education proves to be “a mare’s nest”.
b) a noble thing
c) a successful idea
d) a timely step
2. When the police came, the thieves “took to their heels”.
b) took to flight
c) took shelter in a tall building
d) unconditionally surrendered
3. The politician was able to sway the mob with his “gift of the nab”.
b) flattering words
c) abundance of promises
d) political foresight
4. The speaker gave a “bird’s eye view” of the political conditions in the country.
b) a biased view
c) a general view
d) a personal view
5. The defective “left no stone unturned” to trace the culprit.
b) used all available means
c) took no pains
d) resorted to illegitimate practices.
6. It is not fair to cast ___________ on honest and innocent persons.
7. The villagers _______ the death of their leader by keeping all the shops closed.
8. The criminals managed to escape from the prison even though two armed policemen were _______ vigil over them.
9. The speaker did not properly use the time as he went on _________ on one point alone.
10. Ravi had to drop his plan of going to picnic as he had certain _________ to meet during that period.