English Quiz – 86 (Idioms & Phrases)
1. We should guard against our “green-eyed” friends.
2. He is in the habits of “fishing in troubled waters”.
b) indulging in evil conspiracies
c) aggravating the situation
d) taking advantage of troubled conditions for personal profit
3. At a party, he is always “in high spirits”.
4. Bala fought “tooth and nail” to save his company.
b) as best as he could
c) using unfair means
d) with strength and fury
5. He has “made his mark” in politics.
b) ruined his wealth
c) acquired wealth
d) distinguished himself
6. I did not know that he was “pulling my leg” all the time.
b) degrading me
c) defaming me
d) complimenting me
7. Some people now wonder whether we just “pay the lip service” or genuinely subscribe to democracy.
b) attach no value
c) remain indifferent
d) show only outward respect
8. Seema is a little “hard of hearing”.
9. It was he who “put a spoke in my wheel”.
b) helped in the execution of the plan
c) thwarted the execution of the plan
d) destroyed the plan
10. The captain played with determination because the honour of the team was “at stake”.
b) at the top
c) in danger