Poverty in India
- One third of the world’s poor live in India.
- The number of poor in India is now estimated at 148 million in 2014 as compared to 396 million in 2004-05.
- Goa ranks best with least poverty of 5.09% and Chattisgarh has the most poverty with 39.93%.
- Poverty is concentrated among agricultural labourers, casual workers, scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
- According to Economic Survey 2013-14, poverty ratio declines to 21.9 percent.
- The survey to measure below poverty line is conducted by National Sample Survey (NSS).
- National Sample Survey determines poverty line using the mixed recall period method in which consumer spending for five items such as clothing, durable goods, footwear, education and institutional medical expenses are collected from a 365 days period.