Monthly Current Affairs February 2016 “APPOINTMENTS” key points to Remember.
1) Railway officer Vinay Kumar Singh has been chosen for appointment as Managing Director of the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
2) Amar Singh has been appointed the police commissioner of Malaysia’s capital Kuala Lumpur, the highest police rank achieved by a Sikh in the Muslim-majority country.
3) Metropolitan Stock Exchange of India (formerly MCX Stock Exchange) has appointed its interim Managing Director & CEO Udai Kumar as MD & CEO after receiving necessary approvals from securities regulator SEBI.
4) KN Vyas, Distinguished Scientist and Associate Director, Reactor Projects Group of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) took over as Director, BARC from Dr. Sekhar Basu.
5) Bangladesh limited-overs captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is set to be named as the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) “national goodwill ambassador for youth”.
6) Japanese car manufacturer Nissan named Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma as their new global ambassador.
7) The Diageo-controlled United Spirits USL) has announced the appointment of MK Sharma as its new chairman, a day after the embattled liquor baron Vijay Mallya resigned from the post.
8) Rajendra Singh will be the new director general of the Coast Guard
9) Online fashion store Jabong on 26 Feb 2016 announced the appointment of Muralikrishnan B, former eBay India country manager, and senior e-commerce and consumer internet executive, as the company’s chief operating officer.
10) Justice Subhro Kamal Mukherjee took oath as the 28th Chief Justice of the High Court of Karnataka on 25 Feb 2016.
11) India’s leading private lender Yes Bank has been awarded inaugural Green Bond Pioneer Award at a ceremony held in London, United Kingdom.
12) Union Government has selected former Chief Justice of India (CJI) H L Dattu as new Chairman of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
13) World football’s governing body elected the Swiss-Italian lawyer Gianni Infantino after he defeated nearest rival Bahrain’s Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa in the second round of voting.
14) Dr. Vilas A Tonapi has been appointed Director of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar.
15) Senior IRS officer Jayant Misra has been appointed as Director General of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
16) The Union Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley inaugurated the Non Tax Receipt Portal (NTRP), developed by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
17) West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra has been named the new chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST).
18) Bollywood actress Kajol and Shashi Shekhar Vempati, who heads an online media company, were appointed as part-time members of the Prasar Bharati board which runs public broadcasters Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR).
19) Former chief of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) RK Pachauri has been appointed executive vice-chairman of the organization.
20) The Governing Council of TERI appointed Ashok Chawla, former Union Finance Secretary and former Chairman of the Competition Commission, as its new chairman.
21) Australia has announced the appointment of Harinder Sidhu, India-origin as the new High Commisisoner-designate.
22) Davinder Singh, Indian-origin lawyer in Singapore has been named as vice-chairman of the Paris-based International Chamber of Commerce Commission.
23) United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed Tamar Hahn as Israel Director of the Unite.
24) United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Buenos Aires, which serves Argentina and Uruguay. Rasna chairman Piruz Khambatta has been named ambassador of the government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative by the Government of India.
25) Leslie Berland has been named as Twitter’s new chief marketing executive.
26) Government of India has appointed Gurdeep Singh as the chairman and managing director of NTPC Ltd, India’s biggest power producer.
27) Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey has been appointed as the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) for a period of three years.
28) Ten part-time Non-Official Directors (NODs) have been appointed by the government on the board of various public sector banks.
29) Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, AVSM, VSM took over charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command from Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM.
30) Telecom secretary Rakesh Garg has been appointed secretary of the minority affairs ministry as part of a top-level bureaucratic reshuffle.
31) JS Deepak has been appointed as the new secretary, department of telecommunications.
32) Senior Indian Revenue Service officer Atulesh Jindal is all set to take charge as the new chairman of the CBDT, the controlling body of the income tax department.
33) Senior IFS officer Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi has been appointed India’s next Ambassador to Mexico.
34) Senior IPS officer Archana Ramasundram has been appointed as Director-General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), the first woman to head a paramilitary force.
35) Former India cricketer Virender Sehwag has been appointed mentor of the Kings XI Punjab for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL).
36) Saroj Kumar Jha has been appointed Senior Director for the Fragility, Conflict and Violence Group at the World Bank.
37) Union Government has appointed senior IPS officer K Durga Prasad as Director General (DG) of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
38) Online furniture store Urban Ladder has named Sanjay Gupta as its chief marketing officer.
39) Analytics services provider Mu Sigma Inc. has appointed Ambiga Dhiraj as its chief executive officer (CEO).
40) The Principal Adviser (Cost), Mrs. Aruna Sethi (ICoAS 1985) took over the charge of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS) as head.
41) Former chief secretary of Gujarat DJ Pandian has been appointed vice-president and chief investment officer of the newly-created Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
42) Major General Jai Shanker Menon has been appointed to head the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF), which monitors the Syria-Israel ceasefire in the Golan Heights.
43) The government has appointed Parameshwaran Iyer as the new Secretary of the Drinking Water and Sanitation Department.
44) Senior IPS officer Alok Kumar Verma took charge as the new Commissioner of Delhi Police.
45) Dinesh Sharma becomes the Chairperson of the Governing Council of International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD).