SNIPPETS FROM STATES
Monthly Current Affairs February 2016 “SNIPPETS FROM STATES” key points to Remember.
1) The West Bengal government is planning to get Geographical Identification (GI) tag for four traditional sweetmeat delicacies of the state for exporting them in future. The four sweetmeats are ‘Moa’ of Jainagar, ‘Sarpuria’ of Krishnagar, and ‘Sitabhog’ and ‘Mihidana’ of Burdwan.
2) Telecom major Bharti Airtel has started delivering 4G mobile broadband speed of up to 135 megabits per second in Kerala.
3) Haryana to soon become the first state in the country to have aquifer mapping done for its groundwater resources by May.
4) Hyderabad ranks highest among Indian cities on a quality of life survey by consulting firm Mercer, but is only at number 138 on a global list of 230 cities.
5) Karnataka government has announced housing scheme for transgenders, who are facing social boycott, in Bengaluru.
6) Bihar became the sixth state to join Union Government’s UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) Scheme for financial restructuring of debt of power distribution companies.
7) The Food Processing Sector in Jharkhand, the first Mega Food Park in the State promoted by M/s. Jharkhand Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. has been inaugurated Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Union Minister of Food Processing Industries at Village Getalsud, District Ranchi.
8) Global computer giant Oracle is planning to set up a campus in Bengaluru and start an initiative to help more than half a million students in India develop computer science skills.
9) Punjab government would soon ink an MoU with British Pig Association (BPA) to develop and promote piggery on the latest and scientific lines in the state.
10) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced that senior citizens over the age of sixty could travel for free on government buses starting February 24
11) West Bengal government has launched the Utkarsh Bangla Scheme with an aim of providing vocational training to school dropouts.
12) Gujarat government is planning to set up India’s first civil aviation park in the state
13) Maharashtra has emerged as the top ranking state in terms of overall Internet readiness index, a new report published by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indicus Analytics.
14) Haryana government has inked an agreement with Indo-UK Healthcare Private Limited to establish medical institutions in the state with proposed investment of Rs 1,000 crore
15) The Tithal beach in Valsad district of Gujarat is all set to become the first disabledfriendly beach in India
16) Peacock, the national bird of India, may soon be termed a vermin and culled ruthlessly in Goa.
17) Tamil Nadu is all set to establish the state’s first 800 mw supercritical coal-based power plant, with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa laying the foundation stone for the Rs 6,000 crore project.
18) The opening ceremony of International Fleet Review 2016 was held on February 5, 2016 in Visakhapatnam at Indian Navy’s Eastern Fleet Command Stadium INS Satavahana.
19) Odisha government has lifted the restrictions on visit of foreign tourists to certain tribal areas in the State after three years
20) In Kerala, the maiden Kerala Literature Festival began on February 4, 2016 at Kozhikode