Monthly Current Affairs February 2016 “SPORTS POINT” key points to Remember.
1) Jaypee Punjab Warriors was crowned Hockey India League (HIL) champions as they clinched their maiden title after thrashing Kalinga Lancers 6-1 in a lop-sided summit clash.
2) Former French Open champion Francesca Schiavone won her first title since 2013 when she defeated Shelby Rogers of the United States 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 in the Rio de Janeiro final.
3) Santina, the world number one doubles pair have lost for the first time in 41 matches, at the Qatar Open.
4) Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis extended their winning streak to 40 after clinching the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy.
5) The Indian under-19 cricket team’s quest for an unprecedented fourth World Cup title ended in disaster as the West Indies out—witted the Rahul Dravid-coached side.
6) Indian Railways has won The National Chess team Championship for the first time.
7) Rio Haryanto will become Indonesia’s first Formula One driver after signing a deal with Manor Racing.
8) Brendon McCullum has blasted the fastest century in Test history, a 54-ball effort that broke the record jointly held by Viv Richards and Misbah-ul-Haq.
9) India continued to dominate on the second day of the 12th South Asian Games (SAG) with Sapna Devi. winning gold in the women’s Wushu Taolu (Changquan) competition.
10) India’s Anirban Lahiri has been voted as the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of Year by fans in an online poll.
11) Indian long-distance runner Kavita Raut has qualified for the Rio Olympics in women’s marathon after winning the event in the 12th South Asian Games.
12) India, the overall champion over all the 11 previous editions of the South Asian Games, has crossed a historic milestone of winning its 1,000th gold.
13) The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has banned Asad Rauf, Pakistani umpire for five years after its disciplinary committee found him guilty of corrupt practices.
14) Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis have won their 3rd Grand Slam title and 36th match on the trot.
15) Germany’s Angelique Kerber stunned world number one Serena Williams in three sets to win her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.
16) World number one Novak Djokovic hammered a misfiring Andy Murray in straight sets to win a record-equalling sixth Australian Open title.
17) Brazilian Pietro Fittipaldi clinched the title at the MMRT track in Sriperumbudur.
18) Kidambi Srikanth made a rollicking start to the new season as he clinched the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold with a convincing win over China’s Huang Yuxiang in the men’s singles final.
19) Virat Kohli was rewarded for his stupendous performance in India’s clean sweep against Australia in the T20 internationals as he replaced Aaron Finch as the top-ranked batsman in the ICC list for the shortest format.
20) South Korean Song Young-han held his nerve to edge his role model, world number one Jordan Spieth, by a shot to win the Singapore Open.
21)India became the number one side in the ICC T20 rankings after whitewashing Australia in the three-match series
22) Aditya Mehta has won the National Snooker Championship 2016.
23) Kerala has emerged champions in the 61st National School Athletics Meet, which began on January 29 and concluded on February 2.
24) Swapnil Dhopade, Grandmaster of Maharashtra, with an overall tally of eight points, emerged victorious in the Rs 7.5 lakh prize money, who won the IIFL Wealth Mumbai International Open Chess tournament.
25) London Olympian Basant Bahadur Singh Rana clinched the gold medal in men’s 50km race walk event on the second and final day of the National Championships in Jaipur.