Ch. 17 :- Arithmetical Reasoning : Exercise 2
23. Jayesh is as much younger to Anil as he is older to Prashant. If the sum of the ages of Anil and Prashant be 48 years, what is the age of Jayesh ?
(a) 20 years
(b) 24 years
(c) 30 years
(d) can not be determined
24. Rajan’s age is 3 times than that of Ashok. In 12 years, Rajan’s age will be double the age of Ashok. Rajan’s
present age is
(a) 27 years
(b) 32 years
(c) 36 years
(d) 40 years
25. The age of Arvind’s father is 4 times of his age. If 5 years ago, father’s age was 7 times of the age of his son, what is the age of Arvind’s father at present?
(a) 35 years
(b) 40 years
(c) 70 years
(d) 84 years
26. After five years, the age of a father will be thrice the age of his son, whereas five years ago, he was seven times old as his son was. What is father’s present age?
(a) 35 years
(b) 40 years
(c) 45 years
(d) 50 years
27. 15 years ago the difference between the ages of two persons was 10 years. The elder one was twice as old as the younger one. The present age of the elder person is
(a) 25 years
(b) 35 years
(c) 45 years
(d) 55 years
28. The age of a father 10 years ago was thrice the age of his son. Ten years later, the father’s age will be twice that of his son. The ratio of their present ages is
(a) 8 : 5
(b) 7 : 3
(c) 5 : 2
(d) 9 : 5
29. Mr. Sohanlal is four times as old as his son. Four years later, the sum of their ages will be 43 years. The present age of the son is
(a) 5 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 8 years
(d) 10 years
30. A number of friends decided to go on a picnic and planned to spend Rs 96 on eatables. Four of them, however, did not turn up. As a result, the remaining ones had to contribute Rs 4 each extra. The number of those who attended the picnic was
31. A, B, C, D and E play game of cards. A says to B, “If you give me three cards, you will have as many as E has and if I give you three cards, you will have as many as D has.” A and B together have 10 cards more than what D and E together have. If B has two cards more than what C has and the total number of cards be 133, how many cards does B have?
32. A worker may claim Rs 15 for each km which he travels by taxi and Rs 5 for each km which he drives his own car. If in one week he claimed Rs 500 for travelling 80 km, how many km did he travel by taxi?
33. A bus starts from city X. The number of women in the bus is half the number of men. In the city Y, 10 men left the bus and five women boarded in to it. Now, number of men and women becomes equal. In the beginning, how many passengers entered the bus?
34. A, B, C, D and E play game of cards. A says to B, “If you give me 3 cards, you will have as many as I have at this moment while if D takes 5 cards from you, he will have as many as E has”, A and C together have twice as many cards as E has Band D together also have the same number of cards as A and C have taken together. If all together they have 150 cards, how many cards has C got?
35. Between two book-ends in your study are displayed your five favourite puzzle books. If you decide to arrange the five books in every possible combination and moved just one book every minute, how long would it take?
(a) 1 hrs.
(b) 2 hrs.
(c) 3 hrs.
(d) 4 hrs.
36. At the end of a business conference, ten people present shake hands with each other once. How many handshakes will be there all together?
37. I have a few sweets to be distributed. If! keep 2,3 or 4 in a pack, I am left with one sweet. If I keep 5 in a pack, I am left with none. What is the minimum number of sweets I can have to pack and distribute?
38. In a family, a couple has a son and a daughter. The age of the father is three times that of his daughter and the age of the son is half of his mother. The wife is 9 years younger to her husband and the brother is seven years older than his sister. What is the age of the mother?
(a) 40 years
(b) 50 years
(c) 45 years
(d) 60 years
39. At a farm, there are hens, cows and bullocks and keepers to look after them. There are 69 heads less than legs; the number of cows is double than that of the bullocks; the number of cows and hens is the same and there is one keeper per ten birds and cattle. The total number of hens plus cows and bullocks and their keepers does not exceed 50. How many cows are there?
40. If the number from 1 to 45 which are exactly divisible by 3 were arranged in ascending order, minimum number being on the top, which would come at the ninth place from the top?
41. Out of a total of 120 musicians in a club, 5% can play all the three instruments – guitar, violin and flute. It so happens that the number of musicians who can play any two and only two of the above instruments is 30. The number of musicians who can play the guitar alone is 40. What is the total number of those who can play violin alone or flute alone?
42. A number of friends decided to go on a picnic and planned to spend Rs 96 on eatables. Four of them did not turn up. As a consequence, the remaining ones had to contribute Rs 4 each extra. The number of those who attended the picnic was
43. Ranu is 48 years old. Robin is 6 years junior to Ranu and 14 years senior to Rohit. Ranu has two children – Neethu and Vinu. Youngest sister of Rohit is Krishna and she is 15 years junior to~h What is the age of Krishna?